Aflatoxin M1 contamination levels in cheeses sold in Isfahan Province, Iran

sharifzadeh, Ali. and Ghasemi-Dehkordi, Payam. and Foroughi, Mohsen. and Mardanpour Shahrekordi, Elham. and Ramazi, Shahin. (2017) Aflatoxin M1 contamination levels in cheeses sold in Isfahan Province, Iran. Osong Public Health and Research Perspectives, 8 (4). pp. 260-263.

[img]
Preview
Text
19.pdf

Download (197kB) | Preview
Official URL: https://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2....

Abstract

Objectives: Aflatoxin M1 (AFM1)-contaminated dairy products pose serious human health risks, causing liver and renal failure if consumed. They are also related to decreased milk and egg production in infected animals. This study investigated the AFM1 contamination levels in cheeses sold in Isfahan province, Iran, by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA). Methods: A total of 100 white cheese samples were randomly collected from supermarkets in Isfahan province and after extraction using dichloromethane were prepared for the ELISA. Results: Of the 100 samples, 52 (52%) were contaminated by AFM1, at levels ranging from 50.2 to 424.4 ng/kg. The remaining 48% of the samples had undetectable AFM1 levels (< 50 ng/ kg). Based on the standard limit set by the European Commission and Iran, 8% (8/100) of the AFM1-positive samples (with concentrations between 250.2 and 424.4 ng/kg) had levels higher than the permissible value of 250 ng/kg. Conclusion: Although the percentage of cheese samples in Isfahan province with AFM1 levels exceeding the national permissible limit was low, the examination of cheeses and the milk used for their production is nevertheless important for ensuring public health. Furthermore, optimum storage conditions of animal feed should be ensured, and livestock nutrition must be monitored for the presence of AFM1 and other aflatoxins.

Item Type: Article
Additional Information: cited By 0
Uncontrolled Keywords: Key Words: aflatoxin M1, cheese, enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay
Subjects: WD Nutrition Disease and metabolic diseases
QU Biochemistry
Divisions: Reserach Vice-Chancellar Department > Cellular and Molecular Research Center
Reserach Vice-Chancellar Department > student research center
Depositing User: zahra bagheri .
Date Deposited: 18 Sep 2017 08:18
Last Modified: 23 May 2018 08:54
URI: http://eprints.skums.ac.ir/id/eprint/5170

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item